Itasca School District 10 Board Member
- Board Member 1999 – 2007
- Board Vice President 2004 – 2005
- Board President 2006 – 2007
- Oversaw a balanced budget for all 8 years of my tenure
- Maintained and enhanced extra-curricular District 10 programs during a time-period when tax revenues were under extreme pressure
- Negotiated two successful agreements with the District 10 Teachers Union with no work-stoppages or interruptions in classroom instruction
- Able to refinance a $5 million bond issue at lower interest rates resulting in lower taxes for Itasca residents, while providing ample cash reserves for future educational and facility improvements/renovations.
- 38-year resident of Itasca
- Parishioner of St. Peter’s Church (lector at weekend Masses)
- Itasca Athletic Association (IAA) baseball and softball coach for 8 years
- Member of the IAA Board, overseeing entire girls’ softball program
- Formed and managed the first-ever Itasca girls’ softball travel softball team
- Manager of Bloomingdale/Illinois Thunder girls’ travel softball team for 7 years
- Coach of Illinois Alley Cats women’s travel softball program for 2 years
- Wood Dale/Itasca Basketball Association coach (WIBA) for 7 years
- Vice President of Finance, Treasurer, and Corporate Controller of Fellowes, Inc. (38 years). Fellowes is a $700 million manufacturer and distributor of office products, air purifiers, and office furniture headquartered in Itasca, Illinois, with 17 international locations. Responsibilities include:
- Financial reporting and annual external audit oversight
- Budget preparation and financial forecasting
- Treasury, borrowing, and banking oversight
- Credit approval and collections
- Due diligence and contract review more than 20 acquisitions
- Employee Stock Option Plan Trustee
- Frequent travel (pre-COVID) to international locations in China, Japan, Canada, Mexico, and Europe to conduct site audits and business reviews
- American Institute of CPA’s
- Illinois CPA Society
- Roosevelt University, Chicago – MBA Finance
- University of Illinois, Champaign-Urbana — BS Accounting, CPA
- St. Viator High School, Arlington Heights
- St. James Grade School, Arlington Heights
About the Candidate
My wife Mary Pat and I have been residents of Itasca since 1983. We have three children, Megan, Shannon, and Patrick, and were very involved in their Itasca education (each attended District 10 K-8 and Lake Park High schools), along with their athletic endeavors. Itasca has been the ideal place to raise our children from both an educational and community perspective, and this is one of the reasons why I am running for Village Trustee. I want to continue this tradition for other families to experience and benefit from.
I was a member of the Itasca School Board for 8 years. In that role I was able to experience first-hand how well the District 10 Staff, Teachers, and Parents, all worked together collaboratively for the benefit of our children. As a Board Member I oversaw a $10 million annual operating and capital budget that benefited all the children in the District. I took my responsibility as a Board Member very seriously and was a steward of the trust and confidence that the constituency of Itasca placed in me. I feel this first-hand experience as an elected official where I oversaw a significant budget funded predominantly by Itasca residents, was deeply involved in negotiating agreements with the Teachers Union, and fully engaged in the quality of education provided to all of the District’s students, will serve me well as a Trustee of our Village.
In my current position at Fellowes, Inc. I am responsible for the financial health and well-being of our global operation. I oversee our financial reporting, treasury and banking responsibilities, customer credit and collection decisions, vendor payments and agreements, income tax reporting, year end audits, the international financial reporting staff, and serve as a Trustee for our employee retirement plans. Until this past year (due to COVID) I have traveled extensively internationally and have a solid background in how business is conducted in various parts of the world. It has afforded me the opportunity to understand and relate how business is conducted in different environments, how to negotiate and reach compromises based on local business norms, and to learn and gain an appreciation for different cultures and local customs. I feel this broad base, with an emphasis on finance and negotiation, will also benefit the Village.
I am very excited to be a part of the continued growth and development of our town, while at the same time, preserving the “community” feel that has made Itasca such an special place to live and raise a family. I feel the current Board has done a solid job in serving our residents, while at the same time helping local businesses to grow and develop. I feel my background and qualifications will serve me well as a Village Trustee and I am anxious to get started!